Kodai Thirunal Utsavam was held at Srirangapatinam for Sri Ranganatha Swamy. It is an annual event. This annual 3 days utsavam starts on Chaitra shudda dvitiai, the second day of the lunar calendar. Lord Sri Ranganatha adorned with special chandanam (sandal paste) spends time in the evening at temple terrace and enjoys the vasanth ritu along with veda parayanam.
The temple of Lord Sri Ranganatha is believed to be 1400 years old. It has been built in many stages by many rulers of the place. The temple has a five storied Raja Gopuram (entrance tower that looks similar to a cow’s face with horns) built by Vijayanagara kings, a very big external prakaram (outer corridor) that comprises of the thiru mada palli (divine kitchen with a well), few mantapas (four pillared stages), a small pond, thiru tulasi mantapam (sacred tulasi plant) and a Lord Balaji temple. Then comes the sukanasi, with many huge pillars having stone carvings of the Lord. Some of the important being the lord Ranganathar with is consorts Sree Devi and Bhoo Devi and Lord Krishna. This also has two big mantapas on either side. Sukanasi also houses the Ugrana (the divine store room).
Sri Ranganathaswamy is the presiding deity of the temple. The main shrine of the temple has the archa-vigraha of Ranganathaswamy, the form of Lord Vishnu in the reclining posture on the coils of the serpent Adi Sesha. Ranganathaswamy archa-vigraha of this temple is the largest Ranganathaswamy archa-vigraha in the entire state of Karnataka. The main entrance of the temple has four pillars sculpted with 24 forms of Lord Vishnu. It was constructed during Vijayanagara period. Apart from this, most of the pillars of this temple are in the unique Hoysala style. Sri Ranganayaki is the main godess of the temple. She has a seperate shrine.
How to Reach
Srirangapatna is on the Bangalore –Mysore State Highway. It is closer to Mysore at just 13 kms while it is 125 kms from Bangalore.
Nearest Rail head- Mysore
Nearest Airport- Bangalore
More News about Srirangapatinam: http://anudinam.org/2011/11/13/swami-desikan-ghandapadi-utsavam-at-srirangapatnam/
Sri Ranganatha Perumal
Temples in proximity
Melkote Cheluvanarayana swamy temple and Yoga Narasimha temple, Dodda Mallur Navaneeta Krishna temple, Nadi Narasimha temple- Mallur
Programmes at Sri Ranganatha Temple
Nitya Kattalai (Daily Programs)
3) Snapana Thirumanjanam (Divine bath)
5) Maha nivedanam
6) Bali Pradhanam
7) Mantra Pushpam
9) Teertha prasada viniyogam
1) In addition to daily programs, an evening procession of Lord Sri Ranganathar with Godess Ranganayaki inside the temple.
2) Mantapotsavam at SriRanganayaki temple
Adhika Kattalai (Additional Programs)
1) Ekadashi: On every ekadashi (eleventh day of the moon cycle), a small utsavam is performed inside the temple.
2) Amavasai: On every amavasai (new moon day), a small utsavam is performed inside the temple
3) Sankramanam: On every sankramanam (first day of the sun calendar), a small utsavam is performed inside the temple
4) Sravana Nakshatram: On every month’s Sravana Nakshatram, a special utsavam is performed for Lord Sri Ranganathar along with acharya Vedanta Deshikar and the acharya performs mangalashasanam.
5) Moola Nakshatram: On every month’s Moola Nakshatram, a special utsavam is performed for Lord Sri Ranganathar along with acharya Manaval Ma Munigal and the acharya performs mangalashasanam.
1) Chandramana Ugadi: On this day, the dieties will be given a maha abhishekam (divine bath). Panchanga shravanam is performed in the evening.
2) Vai maligai (Kodai Thirunal) utsavam: This annual 3 days utsavam starts on Chaitra shudda dvitiai, the second day of the lunar calendar. Lord Sri Ranganatha adorned with special chandanam (sandal paste) spends time in the evening at temple terrace and enjoys the vasanth ritu along with veda parayanam.
4) Panguni Uthiram
5) Sri Rangamudi
6) Bangarada Garuda Utsavam
7) Dolotsavam: This 7 day utsavam starts on the Prathama Ekadashi (in the month of July). The first five days are for Lord Sri Ranganathaswamy, followed by Sri Ranganayaki Thayar and Sri Gopala Krishna.
9) Thiru Aadi Pooram Utsavam
11) Sri Krishna Jayanthi Utsavam
12) Navaratri Utsavam
13) Deepavali Utsavam
14) Ashta Teertha Utsavam
15) Brindavana Utsavam
17) Dhanurmasa Utsavam
18) Sankranthi Brahmotsavam
20) Rathasapthami Brahmotsavam