Chitrai Brahmotsavam is scheduled to take place at Sri Sthalasayana Perumal Divya Desam, Thirukadalmallai, from May 5, 2014. On this day, Ankurarpanam and Senai Mudalvar purappadu will take place Following this, the 10-day utsavam will take place until May 15, 2014. During the utsavam, Perumal will have purappadu on various vahanams and in different alankarams. Thereafter, Vidayatri Utsavam will take place for 3 days followed by Pushpa Pallaku purappadu on May 19, 2014. Astikas in and around the area may make it convenient to participate in the utsavam and receive the blessings of the Divya Dampathis.
The following is the official pathrigai for the utsavam…
About the Temple & Location:
This sthalam, Thirukadalmallai is also called as “Mahabalipuram” and “Mamallapuram”. It is situated in Tamil Nadu. 40 Kms away from Chennai and 7 miles from Thiruvidanthai.
It is said that Mahabali Chakravarthy ruled this sthalam and as per the varam he got from Vamaanar, one of the Incarnations (Avathaaram) taken by Sriman Narayanan, this sthalam is named as “Mahabalipuram”. It is one of the said story about this sthalam.
Pundareeka Maharisi started and maintained a big nandavanam (Flower park) here and wanted to dedicate all the Lotus flowers which flowers in this nandhavam to the divine feet of Emperumaan.
Once, he plucked all those Lotus flowers and put them in a basket and started walking to Paramapadhanadhan in Thiruppaarkadal.
But, he could not walk cross the sea, because of the huge waves of the sea. To make the sea dry, he started to clear the water through his hands. But, actually he could not do that and it is impossible for an ordinary person to do so.
At that time, Emperumaan came there as an old man and told him he is hungry and he wants some food to eat. Perumal said if he gives the food, he can also help him to make the water dry.
Hearing this, Pundareekar kept the basket which is full of Lotus at that place and went back to his house to get some food for the Perumal, who has come as an old man. When he came along with the food, he could not find the old man and found that there is not water in the sea. At the same time, he could find Emperumaan, wearing the Lotus flowers all along his body shoulders and giving the Kidantha Kolam facing east direction in the empty floor.
As the Prarthanai (asking our needs to Perumal) of Pundareeka Maharishi, Emperumaan gave him the seva in this sthalam as seen in Paarkadal.
Near Moolavar, Pundareekar is present near the Lotus feet of the Lord (Thiruvadi of the Perumal.)
Near to this sthalam, on travelling along the west direction of the light house, we can find Aadhivaraga Murthy temple – Thiru Ida Vendhai.
Mahabalipuram is famous for its stone carved statues and sea shore. The speciality of the statues are shown to the world by all Pallava kings and the stone carved statues tell how their thinking is.
• The Krishna Mandapam where we can find a 8 feet Krishnar and the Gopalan (Krishnan) getting the milk from cow.
• Statue which explains the tapas done by Arjunan.
• Two big rocks in which full of shapes of Cat to Elephant, Devas, Munivas, Lord Shiva giving Pasupa Astharam, and cat in the Kolam of doing tapas and rats around it. These are the shapes which are beautifully seen in these two big rocks.
• Panja Pandavar Mandapam, Govardhana Mandapam, Panja Pandavas Ratham (Chariot) and all done
• This is the Avathara Sthalam of Bhoodathalwar. This Sthalam is full of Artistic work temple it is also called as “Artha Sethu”.
• This place is governed by Mahabali. According to the boon (Varam) got by Mahabali by Lord Vaamanar, the place is called as ” Mahabali Puram” – This is one of the old story said about this sthalam.
• Chitra Kara Puli – Mahendravarman’s Son Narasima Varma Pallavan was populary named as “Mamallan”. Lots of the monumental and artistic works that are found are done by him and becasue of this, the place is called as “Mamallapuram”.
Moolavar and Thaayar:
The Perumal found in this sthalam is Sri Sthala Sayana Perumal. He is found in Kidantha kolam in bhujanga sayanam (sleeping) and facing his thirumugham towards East direction along the sea.
On the right hand side on his heart, Gnana Upadesh known as “Gnana Tamiz Purintha Naan” is found.
The Moolavar is Thiru Vala Vendhai Varaaga Moorthy on west part of Kalangarai Vilakkam (light house) near the Cave Temple.
Utsavar – Sthala Sayana Perumal (Ula Kuyya Nindraan)
Thaayar The Thaayar of this sthalam is Sri Nila Mangai Thayaar. She is found in a seperate sannadhi.
• Thirumangai Alwar – 26 Pasuram
• Botham Alwar – 1 Pasuram Total – 27
There are Two Pushkaranies.
• Pundareega Pushkarani.
• Garuda Nadhi.
Vimanam: Thaganakruthi (Aanantha Vimanam)
More about the Stala puranam in tamil can be read from: http://anudinam.org/2012/01/09/thiru-kadalmallai-sri-sthala-sayana-perumal/