Thillaisthanam Swami Thirunakshatra Utsavam at Bangalore Sri Prasanna Krishnaswamy Temple
The 145th Thirunakshatram of HH Sri Thillasthanam Swami was held on December 14th 2016 at Sri Prasanna Krishnaswamy Temple, Tulasivanam, Bangalore. Sri Thillasthanam Swamy Kainkarya Sabha has included a glimpse of the function held in the video hosted on Youtube Link https://youtu.be/k30m8wx1MGo .
HH Sri Satagopa Ramanuja Yathindra Mahadesikan who was popularly known as Sri Thillasthanam Swami spent several years at this temple offering Mangalasasanam to Lord Krishna. He would stay for long periods at Bangalore and would conduct his programme of lectures. He took great interest in the working of the Sri Prasanna krishnaswamy temple and organised the worship procedure at the temple, according to Agama and Vedic precepts. He also arranged the installation of Sri Adivan Sadagopan Mahadesikan Vigraham at the temple. He was instrumental in renovating the age old Brahma Ratham in the year 1942 and celebrated Brahma Rathotsavam to Lord Krishna. Even today the same Brahma Ratham is maintained to offer Rathotsavam to the Lord. HH Sri Swamy’s original Paduka is preserved in the temple and Paduka Theertham is offered to the devotees on HH Sri Swamy’s Thirunakshatram and Aradhanam functions. Sri. TSK Sabha had undertaken a Kainkaryam to provide a Velli ( Silver ) Kavacha for the Paduka to preserve it for many more years. This has since been completed well in time for the Thirunakshatram celebration .
A brief history of HH Sri. Thillasthanam Swamy
- Srivan Satagopa Paramkusa Ramanuja Mahadesikan was the 24th Jeer of Ahobila Mutt. Sri Satagopa Ramanuja Yathindra Mahadesikan (Sri Thillasthanam Swamy ) was born in the Poorva Ashrama dynasty of this 24th Jeer of Ahobila Mutt. He was born to Dikshitar Seshadri Acharya in the Vrischika month under the star Mrigasira on 28th November , 1871 .
- As he spent bulk of his early life in Thillasthanam near Thanjavur (Tanjore) he was popularly referred to as Thillasthanam Swami.
- Sri Thillasthanam Swami made ceaseless efforts to promote Sanathana Dharma in general and Srivaishnavism in particular .
- He was deeply religious right from his boyhood and regularly performed Agnihotra , Vedadyanam , etc and pursued his vedic studies. He had his Panchsamskara from the 35th Jeer of Ahobila Mutt and also commenced his studentship under him. Thus his association with Ahobila Mutt commenced from his early years. He continued his studies under subsequent Jeers of Ahobila Mutt . In this way , he acquired a wide range of knowledge and was fully conversant with the theory and practice of Srivaishnava tradition .Later he joined the panel of Aradhakas at the mutt , to worship Lord Malola Lakshmi Narasimha. Later , he became the personal staff of the 38th Jeer , Sri Srinivasa Satagopa Mahadesikan and continued his studies too. He also received Preshya Mantra ( for Sanyasins) from the Jeer.
- In this way Neelameghacarya ( Later Thillasthanam Swamy ) continued his service in Ahobila Mutt. He acquired a wide range of knowledge progressively. One day a Srivaishnava appeared to him in the dream and said “ Put to use the wide knowledge acquired for the good of people and promote Srivaishnavism ” This made him think and he decided to take up Sanyasahrama . He entered Sanyasahrama on 30th September 1914 with the blessings of the then Jeer of Ahobila Mutt . After becoming a Sanyasin , he assumed the name ” Sri Satagopa Ramanuja Yathindra Mahadesikan . But he was popularly referred to as Sri Thillasthanam Swami.
- After becoming a Sanyasin , Sri Thillaisthanam Swami travelled all over the country and performed Panchasamsakara , delivered lectures and discourses on Srivaishnava philosophy and Srivaishnavite literature. In this way he promoted Srivaishnava culture and traditions of Ahobila Mutt. Sri Thillasthanam Swamy remained an individual Sanyasin ( though he was promoting Ahobila Mutt ) and this enabled him to visit every nook and corner in South India which is really praiseworthy since in those days transport was rather difficult. His ceaseless travels created great interest in people to pursue Srivaishnavite traditions .A large number of people all over South India became his disciples. People of the Mysore State ( Now Karnataka ) had great affection and regard for him.
- Even though Sri Thillasthanam Swami was carrying out the routines of a Srivaishnava Sanyasin , what attracted people to him was his profound knowledge and ability to retrieve them spontaneously to meet the challenges or doubts of individuals. On one occasion , when he was in Mysore ,there was difference of opinion amongst the scholars present regarding the ‘Prayaschitta’ rites prescribed in vedic tenets .( A Prayaschitta rite is a corrective rite to undo any shortcomings in the original rite.) Sri Thillasthanam Swami explained lucidly the efficacy of Prayaschitta rites quoting various sources including commentaries of sages and learned scholars. Indeed all were awe struck at his profound knowledge and efficient presentation. In this way , a large number of people were attracted towards him . Gradually , he became a symbol of authority and all would consult him on every matter like construction of temple , worship procedures at temples , various rituals etc. Similarly , his lectures were also complete .To make students understand principles clearly , he would use parables or other techniques. He worked devotedly to spread Sanathana Dharma and also ensure his students realise God’s grace.
- He would stay for long periods at Bangalore, and would conduct his programme of lectures. He would stay at Prasanna krishnaswamy temple, Thulasithottam, Majestic, Bangalore. He took great interest in the working of the Prasanna krishnaswamy temple. He organised the worship procedure at the temple , according to Agama and Vedic precepts. He also arranged the installation of Adivan Satagopan Mahadesikan Vigraham at the temple .
- Sri Thillasthanam Swami’s devoted work and scholarship and easy accessibility enlarged his following of admirers and devotees. He continued his programme of promoting Sanathanadharma, throughout his life. During the last stages of his life , he lived at Srirangam ( Near Tiruchirapalli) in Tamil Nadu. Sri Thillaisthanam Swami attained Brindavanam on May 4th 1956.
- Sri TSK Sabha undertook a project in 2014-15 to revamp and renovate the Swamy’s brindavanam which is located close to the Dashavathaara Sannidhi at Srirangam . Video on Brindavanam renovation on Youtube https://youtu.be/O3H0iD3DxUU.
The following are the photos taken during this occasion:
Courtesy: Sri Velambur Rajan