Kadalai Paruppu – Half tumbler (Chana Dal / Bengal gram)
Paasi paruupu – Half tumbler (Green Gram / Payatham Paruppu)
Jaggery – 2 tumblers (Vellam)
1. Soak kadalai paruppu + paasi paruppu in water for an hour.
2. Grind it so that it becomes a coarse mixture.
3. Cook it (i.e. using cooker).
4. If there are any big chunks in the cooked mixture, then make them into small pieces.
1. Take the jaggery (crushed into powder) in a vessel.
2. Pour little water in it.
3. Keep it in stove & heat it. While heating it, keep stirring it till it turns into a semi-solid state. Do not allow it to become dark brown in color. It should be light brown in color only.
4. When it becomes semi-solid, just stop heating and transfer it to another vessel & leave the mixture that is at the bottom (or lower layer) of the vessel, because that would contain small stones, etc which were in the jaggery (i.e. adulterants).
Step 1: Mix the outcome of part 1 & part 2.
Step 2: Heat it for a while till they get mixed well.
Step 3: After heating it for few minutes, stop heating it. Now add little, elakkai seeds (cardamom), pachai karpooram.
Step 4: Optionally, you can also add cashew nuts (roasted in ghee) & grated coconut
The finals! Mix the outcome of part 1 & part 2 together & there you go!! The tasty okkarai’s ready!