Tomato sambhar is an unique variation to the lentil based traditional Sambhar recipe. This thakkali or tomato Sambhar has the tomato puree seasoned with mustard seeds, chilies and curry leaves and is best paired with steamed rice and idly/dosa.. I am sure you will like it.
Ripe Tomato (Medium) – 6 nos
Toor Dal – ½ cup
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Sambar powder – 2 tbsp
Carrot (Medium) – 1 no
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
Hing – ¼ tsp
Green chili (small) – 2 (slit)
Curry leaves – few
Ghee 3 to 4 tbsp
Lemon juice 1 tbsp
- Wash the tomatoes and cut into pieces. Grind it finely in the mixer.
- Cook the Toor dal with turmeric powder and enough water in the cooker. Let it cook up to 3 – 4 whistles. When it cools down mash it well and keeps it aside.
- Take a kadai, heat the oil, add the ground tomatoes and mix it well. Let it cook until raw smell is gone.
- Add the chopped carrot, turmeric powder, sambar powder, salt and 2 cups of water. Let it boil until it becomes tender.
- And add the cooked-mashed Toor dal and mix it well. Let it boil for 5 minutes. If the sambhar is thick you can add some more water.
- For seasoning: Take a kadai, heat the oil and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add curry leaves, green chilies and Hing, mix it well. Pour it into the sambhar.
- Garnish it with Ghee and lemon juice.
- Serve it hot with rice/Idlis/dosas.
Source: Sadhana’s kitchen