Kootu with any vegetable is a comfortable food for many. It can be made with any vegetable and this recipe is made with snake gourd, but one can make this with any vegetable of your choice. Normally we use beans,chow chow or eggplant to make kootu.
|SNAKE GOURD||2 SMALL|
|YELLOW MOONG DHAL||1/2 CUP|
|CHANNA DAL||1 FISTFUL|
|URAD DAL||1 TBLSP|
|COCONUT SCRAPPED||1/4 CUP|
|COOKING OIL||1 TSP|
|RED CHILLI||2-3 NOS.|
|COCONUT OIL||1/2 TBLSP(OPTIONAL)|
|MUSTARD SEEDS||1/2 TSP|
|ASAFOETIDA||A GENEROUS PINCH|
|TURMERIC POWDER||A PINCH|
- Wash and slit the Snake Gourd and remove the seeds from the center.
- Cut it into half circles.
- Soak the yellow moongdal and channa dal in water and add the snake gourd on the top of it.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook it .
- In a kadai, add the urad dal and redchillies and saute till golden brown.
- Add the cumin seeds and coconut scraping.
- Grind it into a smooth paste by adding little water to it.
- Heat a kadai add the cooking oil and temper with mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- Add th cooked dal and veggie mixture and the ground paste to it.
- Mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add coconut oil to it.(ONLY IF YOU ARE USING)
- Garnish with curry leaves.
- Serve with hot rice.