Pulippu kootu is the main dish during festival days and marriages. It is very healthy as it has vitamins and proteins.
- White pumpkin or chow chow or Brinjal or avaraikai(broad beans) – 250 grams
- Chick peas or Double beans – 50 grams (soak the previous night in water or 8 hrs)
- Toor dal( thuvaram paruppu) – 1/2 cup
- Channa dal- 5 tsp
- Urud dal – 4 tsp
- coriander seeds( dhaniya) – 2 tsp
- Dry red chillies- 5 (Add 1 more if you prefer more spice)
- Tamarind- lemon size ball (caters to 4 people)
- Coconut 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves
1. Pressure cook the toor dal add 3 tsp channa dal, leave until 3 whistles.
2. Pressure cook chickpeas /double beans, leave until 2 whistles.
3. Cut the vegetables into big and add them to tamarind water and heat the tamarind water.
4. Fry channa dal, toor dal, coriander seeds, dry red chillies and perungayam until urud dal gets brown.
5. Grind the above contents along with coconut, add water as required
6. Add the mixture to the tamarind water and vegetables, add the chick peas and boil it until it gets a little thicker.
7.Add the steamed toor dal and heat the contents for 3 minutes.
8. Garnish with mustard and curry leaves.
Tips: You can make this without chick peas or double beans.