Bengal gram dhal – 1 kg
Flour – 3/4 kg
Jaggery – 1 1/2 kg
Ghee – 1 as required for frying
Elaichi powder 1 tsp
Choice of two methods for making purnam:
- Boil dal in water, and when done, add jaggery while hot so that it dissolve. Grind to smooth paste; add elaichi powder.
- Dissolve jaggery in water and boil until it forms a syrup. Boil dal separately and grind to smooth paste and add paste to jaggery syrup and cook until well mixed and done. Add elaichi powder and remove from fire.
Dough: Make a fairly tight dough with maida and watter.
- Make enough parts of the doughs to the size of a small lemon. Make equal parts of puranam.
- Roll part on a rolling pin to the size of a small pappad and keep the puranamat the centre; close dough on all sides.
- Use fingers and little bit of ghee (to prevent sticking) and flatten until forms the size of a big pappad
- Keep tawa on fire, wait until it warms, put the rolled poli on the tawa and cook with ghee on both sides.
- Remove from fire and serve hot with ghee.