2 cups of cashew nuts
1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
About 20 strings of saffron (optional)
- Grind the cashew nuts to powder.
- On very low heat in a heavy bottom pan roast the cashew nut powder for about 4 minutes or until powder just get warm. Do not heat for any longer otherwise powder will start getting oily.
- In a saucepan, boil the sugar and water together on medium heat until syrup is formed.
- Next add the saffron to the syrup mix it well. Saffron is optional. Turn off the heat.
- Add the cashew powder to the syrup and mix it well, making sure there are no lumps.
- To check the right consistency take a little mix in a spoon, you should be able to roll this into softball.
- Next spread the mix quick to the greased plate. Spread before the mix cools off.
- Allow burfi to cool and then cut them in the diamond shape or any other that you will like.
Notes and tips:
Grind small portion at a time if you grind for too long nuts start getting oily.
Store at room temperature for a week or in the fridge for longer.
If the burfi remains soft, you can cook the mixture on low heat for few minutes.
If the mixture is too dry add the boiling water 1 spoon at a time making sue it comes to right consistency.
Recipe will make 20 pieces.