Ambalappuzha is a small town in Alappuzha district of Kerala state, south India. The town is famous for its Sri Krishna temple. The Ambalappuzha temple is one of the three important Sri Krishna temples in the state of Kerala. The payasam served in the Ambalappuzha Temple is famous among devotees.
Unnakkal Rice/ Kuthari (Brown rice) – 1/2 cup
Whole Milk – 1cup
2% milk – 2 cup
Evaporated milk – 1 tin
Cardamoms – 6 no
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Sugar – ¾ cup
Saffron – a pinch
Fried cashews, raisins – 2 bsp
- Wash and clean the rice. Fry the rice in 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Add whole milk, water and saffron into the rice. Cook it in the pressure cooker for 3 whistles
- Take out the rice from cooker and transfer into the sauce pan.
- Mash the rice slightly. Add sugar, 1 tbsp of ghee, evaporated milk, 2 % milk and crushed cardamoms. Stir well until Sugar dissolve into milk. Reduce the heat and cook it for 30 minutes until it thickens to the consistency of payasam. (Payasam will smell like condense milk).
- Now take it away from heat. Add fried cashews on the top.
Source: Sadhanas Kitchen