If you have the powder done already, this is one of the fastest dishes you can cook, it hardly takes 15 mins to cut and cook!!!
For the Kaay podi (powder):
1 cup urad dal (ulutham paruppau)
1 cup channa dal (kadala paruppu)
1 1/2 cups dhania
1 cup red chillies
- Dry roast(separately) all these till u get a nice aroma and powder coarsely. This stores well for a couple of months.
- And now for the Kathrikaki podimas:
- 1 lb firm, tender Brinjal , cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I prefer either the small round or long purple ones)
- 1 tsp of Kaay Powder (more if u prefer more spicy)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp Amchur powder or tamarind powder or paste (for a slight tang) (optional)
- A pinch of turmeric powder
1. Heat oil, temper and add the cubed eggplant.
2. Let cook in medium flame for about 5-8 minutes, stirring occassionally, take care not to make it mushy, the cubes should be cooked but still firm!
3. Add turmeric, salt to taste and the amchur powder, stir.
4. Finally, sprinkle the Kaay powder, mix well, turn off the heat.
5. Delicious Kathrikkai podimas is ready, its that easy and quick!
Similarly other veges like chow – chow (banglore kathrikka) / cabbage etc can be prepared by using this kaay podi.