Here is a recipe of very simple and easy Momos (famous recipe of north east) made of few vegetables.Preparation & cooking time: 50 min Serves upto: 8 pieces Maida (all purpose flour)- 1 1/4 cups Water- to prepare the batter Cabbage (finely chopped)- 1/2 cup Carrot (grated or finely chopped)- 1/2 cup Potatoes (small cubes)- 1/2 cup Cumin seeds (jeera)- 1 tsp Chilli powder- 1 tsp Salt- to taste
- Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, add cumin seeds.
- Add the chopped vegetables and salt. Fry for few min and Add little water for the vegetables to cook thoroughly.
- The vegetables should be very soft. Now, add chilli powder and allow it to cool.
Note : This can also be used as a mixed vegetable curry with rice / roti etc.
- Take maida and a big pinch of salt in a vessel and pour water (little at a time) and prepare the dough (just like chapati’s).
- Make small balls out of it and roll out into thin rotis.
- Stuff in the vegetables. Join all the sides, and twist it (by the way there are different types/art in which the momos can be shaped into. This being the simplest one.) with the hand and cut of the extra portion of the dough (as they become very hard after steaming).
- Now place all the momos to steam. I use my idly cooker to steam them. You can also use a steamer.
- Switch off the stove after 15 min (if you use a idly cooker).
Serve hot with tomato or with chilli sauce.