4 cups thin poha (Aval)
3/4 cup peanuts
3/4 cup whole split peas (hurgadle / puttani)
3/4 cup dry coconut(grated) (kobbari)
5-6 red chillies, crushed
8 tsp oil
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. red chilli powder
1 tbsp. sugar
10-12 curry leaves
1/2 tsp. asafoetida
Salt to taste
Before preparing chooda make sure that poha is crispy.So dry the poha in sunlight or heat for 2 minutes in stove so that it becomes crispy.
- Heat oil in a pan add turmeric powder, mustard seeds. When mustards starts spluttering, add curry leaves,peanuts,split peas and fry till it becomes light brown.
- Add red chillies,dry coconut(grated) and fry for a while.
- Add asafoetida, sugar, salt and mix well for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.Allow it to cool for sometime.
- Add the poha to it and mix well.Do not forget to cool the pan.If you add poha when its hot, poha will become hard.
General guidelines for healthier food for both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.