Tamil name English Measure
- Pachai Arisi Raw Rice 1 padi
- Uluttam Paruppu Black Gram 1/2 padi
- Sukku Dried Ginger 100 gms
- Milagu Black Pepper 100 gms
- Seeragam Cumin seeds 100 gms
- Perungayam Asafoetida 50 gms
- Nallennai Gingelly oil 1/2 kg
- Nei Ghee 250 gms
- Karuveppilai curry leaves few shreds
- Uppu salt to taste
* Soak rice and dhal in water overnight. Next day grind them coarsely.
* Powder ginger, pepper, cumin seeds and asafoetida (not very fine) and add them to the batter along with the required amount of salt and mix well.
* Add oil, ghee and curry leaves to the batter just before cooking and mix well. Pour it on to greased idli plates or into a *kudalai. Steam for 20-25 minutes till done.
[*kudalai is a special utensil for making this idli]
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.