- Tuvaram paruppu – Toor dhal – 200gms
- Milagai vattal – red chillies – 4nos
- Perungayam – asafoetida – 10gms
- Puli – tamarind – lime size
- Kuzhambu podi – sambar powder – 2 tsp
- Uppu – salt – to taste
- Nalla ennai – gingelly oil – 2spoon
- Kadugu – mustard seeds – 1spoon
- karuveppilai – curry leaves – a few
- Soak dhal for one hour, drain and grind with chillies and asafoetida into a smooth paste. Make into lemon sized balls and steam them for 10 minutes.
- Extract tamarind juice and boil with sambar powder and salt. Add the steamed balls, one by one keeping on slow heat. Slowly they will rise to the surface when done.
- Season with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
(Note : Balls can be added without streaming before , but balls may be hard sometimes due to dough not in correct consistancy or may be nature of dhal etc. To avoid this better to steem cook the dough like idli and then put in kozambu and boil.)
Source : Nrusimha Priya