White channa 1 cup (approximately 200 ml by volume)
Coriander/Cilantro (apprx. leaves from 5 stems)
Curry (apprx. leaves from 2 stems)
Mint (apprx. leaves from 2 stems)
Green chillis 2
Asafoetida 1/4 teaspoon
Salt to taste (apprx. 1/2 teaspoon)
Oil for cooking (apprx. 250 ml)
- Soak 1 cup white channa completely in water for 8 hours in a large vessel. Drain the water, and coarsely grind the white channa in mixer. Finely chop the coriander, curry, mint leaves, and green chillis.
- Take a vessel and mix the white channa with the leaves, and add salt and asafoetida.
- In frying pan, heat the cooking oil in medium heat for 5 minutes. In parallel, take small balls (table tennis sized) of the paste, and flatten it in the required shape.
- Once the oil is heated, gently drop 3-4 flattened vada patty into the oil one after the other. Turn the Vada to the other side once every minute. After both sides are golden brown, take out the vada (apprx. 5 mins after dropping it in the oil).
- Enjoy the vadas with mint chutney or tomato sauce.
Soaking Time: 8 hours
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Courtesy: Smt Kousalya Narayanan