Narthangai comes from the Citron or Lemon family.It is slightly bigger and green in colour.Though it is similar to Lemon, it has its own unique flavour.Usually it is made into a pickle and the tender leaves are used to make Narthellai Podi. This Narthagai Sadam is similar to lemon rice in preparation, but has a different flavour.
You will Need
- One and half cup of Cooked Rice
- Juice from one Narthangai(citron)
- Salt to taste
- One tbs of Oil
- One tsp of Mustard Seeds
- One tsp of Channa dal
- Two Red Chillies
- One Green Chilli
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- Few Curry Leaves
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- Cook rice in the usual way and spread it on a plate to cool.
- Heat Oil in a pan Crackle mustard seeds.Add channa dal,red chillies and fry.
- Add Green chilli,asafoetida,turmeric powder and switch off the stove.
- Let it cool and add the rice to the temper in the same pan. Add the juice and salt.
- Mix well and transfer to a serving dish.
Source: Jaya’s Recipies
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.