Fenugreek (also known as Greek Hay and Fenigreek), is an herb that is commonly found growing in the Mediterranean region of the world. Fenugreek seeds have been found to contain protein, vitamin C, niacin, potassium.
The Health benefits are:
Balancing Cholesterol, Lowering Blood Sugar Levels, Natural Cure for Heartburn and Acid Reflux.
Venthaya Kuzhambu is a healthy quick preparation. Its quick, easy and utterly delicious.
Tamarind juice (extracted)-2 cups
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Sambhar powder – 2 tsp
Asafetida – ½ tsp
Salt – to taste
Giggly oil (NELLA ENNAI) -2 tsp
Red chillies – 6 no
Bengal gram- 2 tsp
Toovar Dhal – 1 tsp
Peanuts – 1tbps
Peanuts – 1tbps
Urdh dhal – ½ tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
- In a kadai, add oil and when it’s hot, add all seasoning items and fry till slight brown color.
- Now add Sambhar powder, Asafetida, turmeric powder in it and fry for few seconds.
- Now add the tamarind juice an d salt and allow to slowly boil on a medium low flame.
- After about 15 minutes or so, when the gravy has been reduced, and becomes a little thick, switch off the flame.
- Delicious Venthaya Kuzhambu is ready to be served with steaming hot rice and adding 1 tsp of gingili oil to enhance the flavors of the gravy.
- If the gravy is too watery add 1 tsp of rice flour mixed in 2 tsp of water and add to the kuzhambu and boil it.
- I always feel it tastes best the next day as the spices have soaked in the tamarind gravy all day long!!!
Soruce: Sadhana Kithcen
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.