Allam pachadi is a authentic Andhra recipe, simple and quick to prepare. “Allam” in Telugu Stands for Ginger. Ginger is good for health and aids in proper digestion. Ginger has been used as a natural remedy for many ailments for centuries. Now, science is catching up and researchers around the world are finding that ginger works wonders in the treatment of everything from cancer to migraines..
This pachadi made with ginger, red chilies, red chili powder, curry leaves, tamarind. Allam pachadi has an excellent sweet, spicy and tangy taste. Though ginger is the main ingredient in this pachadi, its flavor is not overpowering. Prepared from fresh ginger gives an strong aroma and fragrance while making the pachadi.
Health benefits of ginger
- Ovarian Cancer Treatment: ginger powder induces cell death in all ovarian cancer cells to which it was applied.
- Colon Cancer Prevention: ginger may slow the growth of colorectal cancer cells.
- Reduce the Morning Sickness.
- Heartburn Relief.
- Cold and Flu Prevention and Treatment: Ginger has long been used as a natural treatment for colds and the flu
- Menstrual Cramp Relief : In Chinese medicine, ginger tea with brown sugar is used in the treatment of menstrual cramps.
- Prevention of Diabetic Nephropathy: ginger had a reduced incidence of diabetic nephropathy (kidney damage).
- Chopped Fresh tender Ginger : 2-3 cups
- Big lemon size tamarind: 1 no.
- Grated jiggery 1 ½ cup.
- Curry leaves ½ cup
- Coriander seed ¼ cup
- Fenugreek seed ½ tsp.
- Red chili Powder ¾ – 1 cup
- Oil ½ -1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds 1 tbs.
- Cumin Seeds 1tbsp.
- Whole Red chilies 5-6 no.
- Hing 1 tsp.
- In a deep pan add 1 cup of water and jaggery and keep stirring till jaggery, dissolves completely. Bring it to a boil. When it boils remove from flame and strain to remove all the impurities. Boil again till one string consistency is reached. Keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in boiling water. Strain the tamarind pulp through a strainer to remove any solids. Keep aside
- Wash the ginger and remove the skin and chop the ginger into small pieces. Shallow fry the ginger pieces with curry leaves. Fry till ginger turn light golden brown and crispy. Grind it in the blender. Keep aside.
- Fry the coriander seeds, Fenugreek seeds in the same oil. Blend it slightly coarsely. Keep aside.
- Take a big bowl, add all grounded items. Now add chili powder, salt, melted jaggery and tamarind pulp. Mix it well
- Heat oil in a small pan and add all seasoning items and fry and switch off the flame.
- Add the tempering to the pickle and stir well.
- Fill them into a glass jar or air tight container. You can store in the refrigerator up to one year.
- This pickle is a great accompaniment to Plain rice, Pesarattu, idlis, dosas.
Source: Sadhana’s Madappalli
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.