Upanyasam on “Modern Mathematics in Ancient India (ப்ராசீன பாரதத்தில் நவீன கணிதம்)” will be delivered by Sri.U.Ve Dr. Navalpakkam Kannan (Yagnam) Swamin organised by Veda Dharma Samrakshana Sabha. The upanyasam will be deliverd over phone on Saturdays (USA) / Sundays (India).
First upanyasam in this series will start on Saturday, Oct 5th 2013 (USA) / Sunday, Oct 06th 2013 (India). Upanyasams will be in a mix of Tamil and English. Math terms, concepts etc. will be in English with explanations / vyAnkyAnams in Tamil.
Date and Time:
USA : Saturdays, 09:15 PM to 10:20 PM (EDT)
India : Sundays, 06:45 AM to 07:50 AM (IST)
About Sri.U.Ve Dr. Navalpakkam Kannan (Yagnam) Swami
||Navalpakkam Chaturveda Satakratu Tatacharya
- Sri U Ve Navalpakkam Somayaji Narayana Thathayarya Mahadesikan
- Sri U Ve Tarka Ratnam, Nyaaya Vedaanta Kesari, Madurantakam T.E.Veeraraghavacharyar Svami
||Sri U Ve Navalpakkam Varadachariar Swamy
(Sri Varada Taataarya Mahadesikan)
|Father In Law
||Sri U Ve Asukavi Sarvabhauma Villur Srinidhi Svami.
- “Rahasyaartha Kovida” by Srimad Srimushnam Andavan, Sri Ranga Ramanuja Mahadesikan
- “Jnana Nidhi” by the Academy of Sanskrit Research, Melukote, Karnataka, India.
- Awarded the degree honoris causa “Samskrita Sevavrati” by Rashtriya Samskrit Samsthan, Delhi.
||Srimad Rahasya Traya Saram, Subhashita Neevi, Sri Lakshmi Sahasram, etc.
|Books and other works
- Veda Vaibhavam in Tamil – 3 Volumes – 1000 Pages
- VyAkyAnam for Sri Lakshmi Sahasram in Tamil – 1000 pages
- Arana Desikanin Ayiram ArivuraikaL, a compilation of 1000 pieces of advice from Svami Desika. (500 published so far).
- Sanskrit poems broadcast by All India Radio, 30 items
- One hundred articles in Sanskrit, Tamil & English in various Sri Vaishnava magazines.
- Presently, Professor of Mathematics at Central University, Hyderabad.
- Formerly, Pro-Vice-Chancellor of Central University,Hyderabad from 2006 to 2011. Vice-Chancellor in-charge for several months
|Distinctions in Mathematics
- President of Indian Mathematical Society (1992-93)
- UGC National Lecturer (1985-86). Delivered lectures in 100 colleges in India.
- F.A.Sc. (Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences founded by Sir C.V. Raman).
- F.N.A. (Fellow of Indian National Science Academy).
- Totadri Iyengar Award for excellence in mathematics (2004)
- ISCA Srinivasa Ramanujan Award from the Prime Minister of India (2006).
- Author of a book (research) published by American Mathematical Society (1980) and of sixty research articles in international journals.
- Supervisor of twelve Ph.D. students.
|Activities for Govt.of India
- Chairman, Swarna Jayanti Fellowship Subject Committee, Dept. of Science &Technology.
- Member, Science Advisory Committee of Ministry of Human Resources Development (HRD), Govt. of India.
- UGC Nominee for some institutions. Govt. Of India’s nominee in the Board of Governors / Executive Councils of some educational institutions.
- Advisory committee of DST INSPIRE Program, SAARC-IGNOU Olympiad Program, etc
Courtesy:Sri Veeravalli Raghunathan