Thulasithotam or Thulasivanam and its temples, located in the present day (Chikka Lalbagh in Balepet-Akkipet) Majestic area, have tremendous historical significance, in addition to being a place Nallans are associated with for atleast three generations.
The temple’s two main deities are Lord Krishna and Rama.
The Prasanna Krishna temple, the oldest on the site, was built by the Wodeyar rulers of Mysore. The temples were well known as early as 1840s and were under the able stewardship of the forefathers of Rao Bahadur B K Garudachar, who was an early mayor of Bangalore.
The presiding diety has the form of lord Srikrishna as an infant, an year or so old. The child god is not even old enough to stand on his feet. In this temple, he is in a standing posture with his left leg on the floor, and the right on a lotus leaf. He has a scoop of butter in his right hand and makes an exquisite mudra with the left hand. The age of this temple is a mystery. While one source says the temple was built in 1844 by Sri Chamaraja Wodeyar, the ruler of Mysore, another source mentions its age to be much older.
Saint Tulasi Ramadas, who was an ardent devotee of Lord Srirama used to travel extensively in India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, Burma, with the Utsava Murthy of Sri Rama and his consorts. Wherever he was, the saint would celebrate Sri Rama Pattabhishekam on Punarvsu star every month. He was very impressed with the upkeep and the quality of daily rituals at the Sri Krishna temple.
In the 1900s, when the saint felt he was growing old and infirm and that he may not be able continue his tours, he approached Sri. Garudachar to ask that the Archa Murthies of Sri Rama and his consorts may permanently be kept with the temple and daily worship be continued. Shri. Garudachar not only readily agreed, but built a separate shrine on the same site and installed the Archa Murthies of Lord Sri Rama along with the moolavars on 2nd April1908.
It is widely believed that the area came to be known as Tulasivanam or Tulasi Thota owing to its enduring association with Saint Tulasi Ramadas.
In the year 1943, at the desire of the devotees, the Sannidhi for Lord Sri Lakshmi Nrusimha was constructed at the right side of the presiding deity. Along with this, separate Sannidhies were built for Sri Vishwaksenar, Sri Nammalwar, Sri Bhagawath Ramanuja, Sri Vedantha Desika and Sri Aadivan Shatakopa Yatheendra Mahadesikan (H.H. 1st Jeer of Sri Ahobila Mutt) were constructed and the consecration was done in the presence of H.H. the 42nd Jeer of Sri Ahobila Mutt.
The main programme for the presiding deity is Brahma Rathothsavam held on the third day of Telugu New Year (Chaitra Shuddha Thrithiya Bharani Star) and Avabruthasnanam on Chaitra Shuddha Panchami Rohini Star.
The Ramothsavam is celebrated from Sri Rama Navami to Pattabhishekam. Srimadh Valmiki Ramayana Parayanam is chanted on all these days and Pattabhishekam is celebrated, followed by Raja Veedhi Utsavam.
Likewise, Narasimha Jayanthi is celebrated in Vaishaka Masa (May).
Shree Rukmini Kalyana Mahothsavam is performed in Aadi Masam. Sri Lakshmi Sahasranama Homa and 108 Sumangali Pooja is also carried out in the evening. (Aug 15th every year)
Shree Jayanthi is celebrated in Simha Masa Rohini star (Aug-Sep).
Pavithrothsavam is celebrated in Kanya Masam (Sep), Navaratri Utsavam is celebrated in Ashwayuja Masa (Oct), Vishnu Deepam in Karthika Masam (Nov), Laksha Deepothsavam is celebrated on the last day of Karthika masam (Dec).
Thiru Adhyayanothsavam is performed during Dhanur Masa starting from Vaikunta Ekadashi.
Kanu Utsavam is celebrated in Thai Masam (Jan).
Sri Lakshmi Sahasranama Archana, is performed on all Fridays and Amavasyas.