- Thuvaramparuppu(Thuvardal)-1/2 cup
- Tamarind- size of a big lemon
- salt-to taste
- turmeric powder-2tsps
- oil-1/2 cup
- Vegetables to be cut in quarters
- white pumpkin
- yellow pumpkin
- sweet potato
- cluster beans
- mochai or lima beans
- peas etc
Grind After Roasting in Oil
- corriander seeds-1/2 cup
- red chillies-4-6
- kadalai paruppu(channa dal)-2Tsps
- ulutham paruppu(urad dal)-1tsp
- jeeragam,1 tsp
- menthiyam(methi seeds)-1tsp
- coconut (grated)-1/2 cup
- groundnuts-a handful
- cahew-nuts-a handful
- Wash rice twice or thrice and add turmeric powder.
- Extract tamarind juice by soaking tamarind in warm water and pressure cook rice in tamarind water.
- Three cups of water can be used per cup of rice.Cook the tuvar dal with turmeric till mushy.
- Cook the vegetables separately. Mix cooked rice, dal and vegetables, add salt, asafoetida add ground ingredients and season with mustard, urad-dal. channa dal. ground nuts and cashew nuts and curry leaves.which have been fried golden in oil. Green or dried sundakai can be fried and added.
- If desired small vadas can be fried and added. Using the remaining oil and ghee mix thoroughly, transfer to a clean vessel and offer to Perumal.
Dadhiannam (Curd Rice)
- mustard seeds-1tsp
- green chillies-2-3
- ginger-a small bit,peeled and cut into fine pieces
- curry-leaves-a few
- corriander-cleaned and cut finely
- asafoetida-as desired
- cucumber-1small, peeled and cut into tiny pieces
- salt -1tsp
- Cook rice with enough water so that it is mushy.
- Cool well. Add salt. Take oil in fry-pan put in the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add asafoetida, curry leaves, green chillies, ginger bits and fry well. Lastly add corriander and cucumber bits and mix well.
- Pour on the cooled rice, add fresh curds and mix thoroughly.
- If desired a dollop of butter can be added. Offer it to Perumal before tasting.
Courtesy: Smt Vyjayanthi Rajan
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.