Thavalai adai gets its name as it used to be prepared in a brass or bell metal (vengala panai) vessel. It can be made in an iron frypan or any shallow heavy bottomed frypan.
- Raw rice-2cups
- Kadalai-paruppu (channa-dal)-3/4 cups
- Thuvaram paruppu (thuvar dal)-3/4 cups
- Uluttham paruppu(urad-dal)-1/4 cups
- Payaru or payathum paruppu-1/4 cup
- Asafoetida-1pinch or 2tsps powdered
- salt to taste
- Red chillies-4-6
- black pepper-4-5
- curry leaves-a sprig
- coconut grated-1/2 cup
- corriander leaves-cut finely
- Soak rice separately and the lentils (paruppu) separately for about two hours. Drain water and grind coarsely rice separately and the lentils separately.
- Add curry leaves, grated coconut and corriander leaves. Add asafoetida and salt. Mix both batters and the thavala adais can be prepared immediately. The batter should not be watery.
- Take a handful of batter and spread it on an oiled heated fry-pan. Use a whole spoon of oil and spread it around the adai. Close with a lid and keep the flame at medium.
- Turn it around and spread another spoon of oil. Put on the lid and remove with slotted spoon when reddish-brown. Prepare the rest the same way. Sesame-oil is ideal although any cooking medium can be used .Offer to Perumal.
Recipe by Smt Vyjayanthi Rajan
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.