SrImathE Nigamantha Mahadesikaya namah:
SrImAn venkatanAthAryaH kavitArkika kesarI |
vedAntAcArya-varyo me sannidhattAm sadA hRdi ||
Let us pay our obeisance to Acharya saarvabhouman Swamy Desikan by dwelling on his ThirumEni azhagu (Beauty of His Divya mangaLa vigraham). (The tamil translation was released by sri C. Seshadri of Chennai under Project Popularsiation of Swamy Desika’s works). Any credit in adiyEn’s post is due to the original translation. All errors, mistakes are only mine. Please forgive me for the same.
Kumara Varadhacharyar (son of Swamy Desikan), who does not know any God except Swamy Desikan, composed 15 slokas describing the beauty of Swamy Desikan’s ThirumEni and then prays for the Divya mangaLa vigraham of AchArya saarvabhouman to be in his heart at all times.
1. May my mind, as a bouquet of flowers, enchant my master Sri VenkatanAthan- Sarvathanthra Swanthrar; and a Parathanthrar for Srivaishnava Bhagawathas.
2. Oh mind! Always think and meditate on Sri Venkatesa, the benevolent acharya, the most beautiful One, who considers the lotus feet of AppuLLaar, Kidambi Kulapathi as God Himself.
3. The most beautiful form of Thooppul ThiruvEmkata Guru, whose colour is like the shining Sun- may it appear always in adiyEn’s eyes crystal clear.
4. Swamy Desikan has the most blissful, great Lotus feet, which conquers even the freshly blossomed Lotus flowers. He dispels the darkness from the minds of those who meditate on him, with his shining moon ray-like nails.
5. On the broad beautiful forehead, which is like the ashtami chandran, (crescent moon, ever shining white Urdhva puNdram and there is white long beard on his face. He appears as if he is another mUrthi of NammAzhwAr Himself.
6. Swamy Desikan has the broad chest that shines due to rays coming from the long white beard, and the neck adorned with white upaveedham, garlands made of thuLasi and lotus beads.
7. Swamy Desikan has the most beautiful pair of ankles that win even manmathan’s golden arrow bags. The knees are like strong humps of bull.
8. Swamy Desikan’s thighs effortlessly conquer the banana trunks (which are proud of their beauty). He wears the spotless white cloth around his waist.
9. His navel is like the beautiful swirling water curl. He has broad chest. His long hands starting from those round strong shoulders touch the knees. His round neck hides those neck bones and shoulder bones.
10. His neck wins over the beautiful conch shell. He has unparalleled ears and ever smiling lips with affection, like the tender leaves of mango tree.
11. His milk white teeth are like the spotless row of pearls and his aquiline nose wins over the sesame seed flower. (eLLu poo naasi).
12. His lotus feet, ankles, knees, thighs, white cloth around the waist, the navel, strong broad chest, neck, the two long hands, beautiful soft cheeks, nose, the beautiful lotus bead garland and thuLasi garland around the neck- Oh mind! Think of AchArya saarvabhouman always in this charming form. (This slokam describes the beauty from the lotus feet to Head)
13. May Sri Venkatanathan- adiyEn’s acharyan- who wears the Sanghu, Chakra on His shoulders, and beautiful ThirumaN kaappu on his forehead, thuLasi and lotus bead garlands around his neck, the ever smiling face with cool glances of daya, shine in adiyEn’s mind always.
14. Those who recite this sthOthra (or read the translation:-) composed by Varadacharya, will be blessed with mOkshAnandham here itself.
Swamy Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
kavi-tArkika-simhAya kalyANa-guNa-SAline |
Srimate venkateSAya vedAntagurave namaH ||
Salutations to Sri Venkatesa, in whom all perfections reside, who is the teacher of Vedanta and the lion among poets and debaters
Writeup by : Sri Madhavakannan