- Vazhai Thandu – 2 cups
- Thick Curd – 1 cup
- Green Chillies – 2
- Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dried Red Chilly – 1
- Curry leaves- 1 spring
- Peel the outer layers of the banana stem, cut into roundels, then chop it.
- Put the chopped pieces in a bowl filled with water and some curd.
- Swirl with a wooden stick and the fibers will get tangled with the stick.
- Once the whole stem is chopped, drain the water. Take it in a pot, add just 2-3 tbsp of water and little salt.
- Cover and cook it for about 5 minutes. In the meantime, grind the coconut, green chili and cumin seeds to a smooth paste. You can add 1 tsp of rice flour if you prefer to thicken the kootu.
- Add the ground coconut paste to the cooked banana stem and mix.
- Cook for just a minute and switch off.
- Do the tempering in a small pan separately and add it to the kootu.
- After it cools a bit, beat the curd and mix it. Tasty vazhai thandu morkootu is ready to be served.
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.