For a true vaishnavite, chanting names of MahaVishnu is significant, while applying 12 thriumann, on specified parts of the body.The shape of thirumann should be in the shape of Haripadhakruthi( lotus feet of Sriman Narayanan).
One should apply thirumann while sitting only.One should use particular finger only to apply thiruman.Thirumann should be like two white lines and one red or yellow line in between them symbolizing,Divyadampathi, who are always united.The importance of chanting while applying thiruman is to purify the body and the mind to be focused before starting any work in the day.
SCIENCE :There is a lot of scientific reason and health related benefits of applying thirumann.Devotees apply thirumann,by gently pressing,which allow electromagnetic waves to pass through and stimulates neural network.
When mild pressure is applied on the centre of forehead,it reduces under-eye darkness,enhance eyesight .
A treatment in Ayurveda,named”Shirodhara” would cure mental stress and fatigue,which is constant dripping of warm oil on forehead,right between eyebrows.This helps in taking out heat and relaxes the system.Same benefits can be achieved if we practice applying thirumann on daily basis.It permanently cures headache.
Thirumann along with srichoornam symbolizes Sriman Narayanan and Sri Mahalakshmi.These are described in the commentary of Sri Parasara Bhattar on Sri Vishnu sahasranamam.Swami Desikan also has explained about the importance of applying thiruman in 12 body parts and the details of chanting the names of Mahavishnu while applying thirumann and chanting the corresponding names of Mahalakshmi while applying Sreechurnam.
1.KESHAVA: Chant the name “KESAVAYA NAMAH:”, while applying Thiruman on the forehead; One, who protects us in the East, has the golden hue and carries the Golden Sri Chakra; Chanting this name,one gets rid of all “Kleshas”,which is the root cause of all our pain and suffering: — Avidya (Ignorance), Asmita (Egoism), Raga (Likings), Dvesa (Dis-likings), Abhinidvesa (Fear)).
Chant “SRIYEY NAMAH:”while applying Sreechurnam in the forehead.
2. NARAYANA : Chant the naama “NARAYANAYA NAMAH:”,while applying the thirumann on the center-stomach; One who is the protector for all the Jeevas or living beings. Though it may be the most famous Naamam, it comes only once in Vishnu Sahasranamam. He protects us in the west, holds a conch and resembles rich blue cloud
Chant “AMRITOTBHAVAYEY NAMAH:” while applying Sreechurnam on the centre-stomach.
3.MADHAVA: Chant the naama”MADHAVAYA NAMAHA:”, while applying the thirumann on the chest; The Swami of our Mother, who is the mother of the entire Prapancham /The Universe. He protects us from the top, has the colour of blue lily and holds Gadha/mace in his hand
Chant “KAMALAYEY NAMAH:”, while applying Sreechurnam on the chest
4. GOVINDHA: Chant the naama “GOVINDHAYA NAMAHA:”,while applying the thirumann on the inner-neck;One who inherits/owner of all glories; One who rescued this bhoomi (indicates to Varaha Avatara); Protects us from the south, has the cool luster of moon and carries an arrow.
Chant “CHANDRASOBHINYEY NAMAH:”,while applying Sreechurnam on the inner neck
5. VISHNU: Chant the naama “VISHNAVE NAMAHA:”,while applying the thirumann on the right-stomach; One who has penetrated everything or has presence everywhere; Protects us from the top, has the colour of lotus filament and carries a plough
Chant “VISHNUPATHNEY NAMAH:”, while applying Sreechurnam on the right-stomach
6. MADHUSUDHANA: Chant the naama”MADHUSUDHANAYA NAMAHA:”,while applying the thirumann on the right-sholder; One who has destroyed the demon — Madhu; Also represents Indriyas / senses. Protects us from south-east, has the colour of lotus and holds a pestle
Chant “VAISHNAVYEY NAMAH:”, while applying Sreechurnam on the right-shoulder
7. TRIVIKRAMA: Chant the naama “TRIVIKRAMAYA NAMAHA:”,while applying the thirumann,on the right-neck; One who has measured the 3 measurables — Rik/Yajur/Sam, Sattva/Rajas/Tamas, bhoo/Bhuva/Suva etc ; Protects us from south-west, shines like fire and carries sword
Chant “VARAROHAYEY NAMAH:”, while applying Sreechurnam on the right-neck
8.VAMANA: Chant the naama,”VAMANAYA NAMAHA:”,while applying the thirumann on the left-stomach; Whose Swaroopa brings delight in the seer’s mind; Protects us from north-west, Shines like the young sun and carries a thunder-bolt
Chant “HARIVALLABHAYEY NAMAH:”, while applying Sreechurnam on the left-stomach
9. SRIDHARA: Chant the naama”SRIDHARAYA NAMAHA:”while applying the thirumann on the left-shoulder; One who is inseparable from divine-mother like the gem-its light, flower-its smell etc; Protects us from north-east, has the colour of lotus and carries a spear
Chant “SARNGINYEY NAMAH:”, while applying Sreechurnam on the left-shoulder
10:HRISHIKESHA: Chant the naama “HRISHIKESAYA NAMAHA:”,while applying the thirumann on the left-neck; One who controls our 5 senses (both karmendriyas and gnanedriyas) ; Protects us from below, shines like lightning and carries a hammer
Chant “DEVADEVYEY NAMAH:”, while applying Sreechurnam on the left- neck
11:PADMANABHA: Chant the naama,”PADMANABHAYA NAMAHA:”,while applying the thirumann on the back(lower end of the spine); One who carries the lotus in his navel or manifests the universe; Protects from all directions, with brilliance of thousand suns and carries all weapons
Chant “MAHALAKSHMYEY NAMAH:”, while applying Sreechurnam on the back
12.DAMODHARA:Chant the naama”DAMODHARAYA NAMAHA:”,while applying the thirumann, on the back of the neck; One who carries the un-manifested universe in his stomach; Protects me from inside and outside, has the colour of silkworm and carries 4 nooses in his hands
Chant “SURASUNDARYEY NAMAH:”, while applying Sreechurnam on the back of the neck.
Apart from these:
Chant ”VASUDEVAYEY NAMAHA:” while applying thirumann on the head and “SARVABHEESHTABALAPRADHAYEY NAMAH” while applying Sreechurnam on the head.
“SRIMATHE NIGAMANTHA MAHADESIKAYA NAMAHA:”