Murukku is one of the alltime snack delight for the kids, which is crunchy and tasty and it is a very easy to make snack. During Deepavali, this snack is prepared by default in many houses. try preparing this snack for this diwali and enjoy the day with your near and dear ones sharing this snack. The method of preparation is shared below:
INGREDIENTS : ( For Preparing 30 pieces)
Rice : 3 measures(900 gms)
MoongDhall : 1 measure(300 gms)
Gram flour: 1 table poon
Butter/ghee: 1 to 2 tespoons(optional)
Oil (For frying) : 600ml to 750 ml
Asafoetida: 1-2 tsps
Sesame seeds/ jeera : 1-2 tsps(optional)
Chilli powder : 2 tsps
STEPS FOR PREPARATION:
STEP.1: PREPARING THE DOUGH:
- Grind Rice, Moong dhal and Gram dhal together in mill to have a proper powder form.
- Add Asafoetida (little ), 1 teaspoon of chilli powder, Salt as required to the flour
- Add 2 teaspoons of butter/ Ghee to the powder for crispy murukku (optional)
- Add little heated oil to the flour to have crispy murukku
- Add little white sesame seeds/Jeera to the flour if preferred (optional)
- Mix the dough to the required consistency, so that it should neither be sticky to the hands or too dry
STEP.2 : HEATING THE OIL IN THE KADAI:
Pour oil into the Kadai and let the oil get heated, till the bubble starts coming.
STEP.3 : PRESSING THE DOUGH INTO REQUIRED SHAPES:
Stuff the dough into the murukku maker, and press the tool to get the dough into the oil. Instead, pressing in the required shape in a butter paper and dropping into the oil kadai can also be done.
STEP.3:( DEEP FRY)-Deep Fry till the murukku reaches the top .Care should be taken so that the colour of the murukku should not turn dark brown
STEP.4 : Garnish with curry leaves if required.
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.