03 February 2022, Plava varusha, Thai-21, Thursday ;
A simple and easy Tamil Brahmin Kuzhambu prepared with fried papad or Appalam in tamarind gravy. Generally, Vathal Kuzhambu is made with vegetables. But this recipe uses Appalam instead. Whenever I run out of vegetables, feel like having Kuzhambu – Appalam Kuzhambu comes to my mind. This tangy Kuzhambu tastes yummy, when mixed with rice and some sesame oil.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Recipe Category: Kuzhambhu
Cuisine: South Indian
Serves: 4 Nos.
Tamarind Extract 3 Cups ( I used lemon size tamarind and extracted)
Appalam/Pappad 2 Nos.( Break into Pieces)
Turmeric powder ¼ Teaspoon
Sambhar Powder 1 ½ Tablespoon
Red Chili Powder 1/8 Teaspoon
Grated Coconut 1 Tablespoon (optional)
Jaggery Powder 1 Tablespoon
Salt To Taste
Gingerly Oil/Sesame Oil 3 Tablespoon
Mustard Seeds 1 Teaspoon
Fenugreek seed 1/4 Teaspoon
Asafoetida Powder ½ Teaspoon
Curry Leaves few
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 10-15 minutes and extract tamarind water, discarding the pulp.
- Deep fry the papad pieces into hot oil. Keep aside.
- Heat the Kadai and add Oil, Mustard seeds. After it splutters, add the Fenugreek seed .
- Once it become golden brown, add the Hing and Curry leaves. Then add the grated Coconut, Turmeric , Red Chili Powder and Sambar powder. Sauté it for few seconds.
- Add the Tamarind extract and Salt. Allow it to boil for 15 min, until the oil separates. Cook it in the medium flame.
- Finally add the Jaggery and mix it well. Switch off the flame/heat.
- Add the Appalam just few minutes before serving the Kuzhambu.
- Serve it hot with Rice and Potato Fry and Dangar Pachadi.
- You can also break the Appalam ( instead of deep frying ) and add it to the tempering .
- Appalam Kuzhambu thicken over the time because of Urdh in Appalam. So add water according to the consistency you desire.
- To add thickness to the gravy add 1 tsp of rice flour in 50 ml of water and add to the Kuzhambu.
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.
Courtesy: Sadhana’s Kitchen