04 February 2022, Plava varusha, Thai-22, Friday ;
They are high in vitamin B6 and a good source of vitamin C. Since sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index, they can be consumed by those suffering from diabetes, without any apprehensions. Though the preparation of Podimas is simple, the taste is marvelous.
Medium size Sweet Potatoes 3 Nos.
Finely chopped green chilies. 3 nos.
Grated ginger 1 Tbsp.
Salt to taste.
Turmeric powder 1/8 Tsp.
Lemon Juice 1 Tbsp.
Coconut Oil 1 Tbsp.
Mustard 1 Tsp
Udad dhal. 1 Tbsp.
Channa dhal 1 Tbsp.
Asafetida powder ¼ Tsp.
Finely chopped curry leaves. 1 string
Chopped Coriander leaves 2 Tbsp.
Grated coconut 2 Tbsp.
- Wash sweet potatoes .Cut into chunks and pressure cook for 1 whistle. Remove from the pressure cooker and remove the skin.
- Mash them and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add mustard seeds, when the mustard begins to crackle add the other all seasonings and fry dhal till light brown.
- Now add the chopped green chilies, grated ginger, mashed sweet potato and salt.
- Let it cook for a minute in low heat. Now add lemon juice and grated coconut and mix it well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steam rice and Kuzhambhus.
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.
Courtesy: Smt. Sadhana Padmanabhan