Pickles are made with great care, as they are supposed to last a year at least ,so before making any pickles, please remember this below tips.
Tips for the Pickle:
- Always ensure best ingredients are chosen, Jars & bottles are washed and sun dried.
- Always use Crystal salt (called as kalluppu – கல் உப்பு in Tamil) not table salt. Table salt contains iodine, a chemical that can darken pickles.
- Only dry spoon has to be used while taking the pickle out from jar.
- Always use bright color red chili powder.
Green lemon – 15 nos
Green chilies – 10 no (silted)
Ginger – 3 tbsp (juliennes)
Red Chili powder – ¼ cup
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Salt – as required
Oil – 3 tbsp
Fenugreek – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Red chili flakes _ 2 tsp
Asafetida (Hing) – 1tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Cut limes into 4 cubes. Slit the green chillies, and ginger.
- Add turmeric powder, salt. Mix well altogether and keep aside for 3 to 4 days.
- Dry fry the fenugreek and grind coarsely
- Heat oil in pan, add mustard seed. When mustard seed start crackling add Hing, red chili flakes, red chili powder. Switch off the stove.
- Add lemon combos and sugar. Mix well. If you want, you can add white vinegar ( 3 tbsp) in it.
- Lemon combo is ready. Keep it in very cleaned bottle.