Paneer is a type of cheese prepared from milk. A variety of dishes can be prepared from paneer. It is a good source of protein. Though it is readily available in stores, home made paneer is very soft and spongy and is very simple to prepare.
Milk – 1 liter
Fresh Lemon juice – 2 – 2 1/2tbsp
- 1. Bring milk to boil.
- 2. Reduce the heat and add lemon juice to it while continuously stirring.
- 3. Milk will start curdling. (Pic 3)
- 4. Keep stirring until the curdling process is complete. (Pic 4)
- 5. Strain through a cheese cloth. Wait for it to cool a little. (pic 5)
- 6. Gather the cloth with curd, squeeze out all water, tie a knot and hang it for 15 minutes to drain water, if any completely.
- 7. Keep a heavy object on top of it. I kept a pressure cooker filled with water. Leave it to set for 3 hours.
- 8. After 3 hours, take it out from the bundle, paneer will look as in pic 8.
- 9. Cut it into cubes and use it. You can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, if you are not going to use it immediately.
- If paneer crumbles when you cut, then you have not drained/removed the whey properly.
- By using 4.5% fat gives approximately 175 grams of paneer.
- It can be stored for 5 -6 days in the refrigerator.