Ash gourd (Pooshanikkai) – 1/2 kg.
Peas – 2 tablespoon
Kozhambu vadaam – 8
Toor dhal – 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
Tamarind – lemon size
Salt – as per taste
Hing – a pinch
Oil – 1/2 ladle
To fry in oil and powder:
Gram dhal – 1 tsp.
Coriander seeds – 3 tsp.
Dry red chilli – 3
Scraped coconut – 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp.
Urad dhal – 1/2 tsp.
Coriander leaves – few
Curry leaves – few
- Soak peas overnight and pressure cook.
- Pressure cook toor dhal with turmeric powder , mash and keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in water and squeeze out the pulp.
- Wash and chop ash gourd into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Fry & powder coarsely the items given in “To fry in oil and powder”. Keep aside.
- In the same kadai, heat a tablespoon of oil and fry the kozhambu vadaam till golden brown. Keep aside.
- Cook ash gourd in water with salt, hing and turmeric powder. When half done, add the fried kozhambu vadaam, peas, & tamarind water. When cooked, add the mashed dhal. Let it boil till thick. Finally add the coarsely ground powder and give it a boil. Season with the items “To season”.
- This tastes great when mixed with rice + little ghee. Can also be had as a side dish for southindian meals.