Special for Tamil New Year Festival
This Pachadi is a representative of Tamil word “arusuvai” meaning 6 tastes –Uppu (Salty), Thithippu (Sweet), Pullippu (Sour), Kasappu (Bitter), Uraippu (Hot/Pungent) and Thuvarppu (Astringent).
- 1 large (about 350grms) Raw mango
- 1-3/4 cups (about 350 grms) Jaggery, powdered
- 1/2 -1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2-3 tsp Ghee/oil
- A pinch of Turmeric
- 1-2 dried Red Chilli
- Pinch of Salt (to taste)
- 1/2 – 1 tbsp Neem Flowers
- 2-3 tsp. of Tamarind paste/ thick juice
You can use both fresh or dried Neem flowers. In India, traditionally fresh Neem flowers are used.
- Peel the mangoes. Its optional. Now slice it into flat pieces.
- In a pan, over medium heat, add jaggery and 1 cup of water, melt the jaggery. Filter this to a cup. This straining is essential to remove any scum or debris (that’s mostly found in jaggery). Keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the Ghee and when hot, drop the mustard seeds. Add Red chillies and When it starts spluttering, add the mangoes.
- Stir gently for few seconds , Add turmeric powder and salt. Now Add tamirind juice and about 1-1/2 cups water cover and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, give it a gentle stir and without the lid continue cooking for another 8-10 minutes or until it starts becoming mushy.
- Now add the Jaggery water, stir and simmer further for another 10-15 minutes, until it comes together into a thick sauce. The consistency will depend on your preference. If it becomes too thick , add few tbsp of water to rectify it.
- Then temper the neem flowers in ghee until golden brown and add it to the pachadi.
Alternate Pressure Cooker Method: There is another method to making this. Instead of cooking this mango over stove top, simply pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles along with turmeric. Separately warm 1 cup water and add the jaggery to it. When it melts strain the jaggery. In the pan temper the mustard seeds and chilli. Then add jaggery water. Then add the cooked mango pieces along with salt. Cook until it comes together into a thick sauce and then temper the neem flowers in ghee until golden brown and add it to the pachadi.