Brinjal Thogayal or sutta kathirikai thogayal – very easy and yummy traditional dish with brinjal
- Brinjal -1 big or 2 medium sized
- Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 2 tbsp
- Red chilli – 3-4
- Hing – a pinch
- Tamarind – little (very less)
- Oil/ghee – 1 tbsp
- Roast the brinjal on direct fire till the whole skin becomes black ( keep turning it so that all sides get cooked) and then remove from the fire and allow it to cool.
- Peel the skin and stem. Mash it well
- Heat the oil in a pan and put urad dal,red chillies. Roast it till dal turns red.
- Grind the roasted things along with tamarind,salt and hing. Atlast add mashed brinjal and grind it for few secs (not as a fine paste).
- finally sparkle mustard seed and add to it.
This tastes very good with rice and ghee. Also serves as a good side dish.
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.