This Pancharathnam was authored by Seva Srinivasaraghava Swami (who received President’s Award for his services to Religion and Sanskrit literature, the founder of Manimandapam temple at Villiwakkam, Chennai and the Sri Vedanta Desika Research Center, Chennai).
(English Translation by Sri Anbil Ramaswamy)
The poetic tribute in 5 verses (Pancharathna) dedicated to our Swami brings out the qualities of Srimad ParavAkkOttai Andavan Sri Gopala Desika Maha Desika Swami very clearly. We give below a rough translation of the poem.
1. Sat Sampradaaya Siddhah Sthirathara Dhishanah Srotriyo Brahma Nishtah
Sathvastha Satya Vaakhyo Suba Charitha yuthah Saadhu Siddhaantha Vrittih /
Dambaa Asooyaadhi Muktho Jitha Vishayagano Dheergha Bandhur Dayaaluh
Gopaalaaryo Yatheesah Sva Para Hitha Paro Desiko Braajathe Naha //
· He is firmly rooted in Satsampradaaya (Sat sampradaaya Siddhah)
· His intellect is firm as the pole star (Sthirathara Dhishnah)
· He is well-versed in Sastras having heard from his Aachaaryas (Srotriyo)
· His mind is constantly fixed on Bhagavaan (Brahma Nishtah)
· His personality is pure Satvaguna( Sattvastha)
· He is always truthful ( Satya Vaakhyo)
· His conduct is immaculate (Subha Charitha Yuthah)
· His occupation is spreading the holy Siddhanta (Saadhu Siddhaanta Vrittih)
· He is devoid of ego and jealousy etc. ( Damba Asooyaadhi Muktho)
· He has conquered the senses ( Jita Vishaya Gano)
· He is like a long standing friend and relative ( Dheergha Bandhu)
· He is compassionate ( Dayaalu)
· He is concerned about the spiritual welfare of himself and others (Sva Para Hitha Paro)
· He is Gopaala, the King of Yathis who shines brilliantly on the firmament (Gopalaarya Yatheesah Desiko Braajathe Naha)
2. Srimad Rangam Idham Chirantana Puram Dhyeyam Param Yoginaam
Drisyam Drisyathamam Bujangha Sayane Jaagarthi Divyam Mahah /
Thath Dhyaaneka Paro Mahaan Yathi Varo Gopaala Sat Desikah
Saasan Sva Aasritha Sishya vargam Atulo Vibraajate Bhaavukah //
· Behold this is the Lord of Srirangam who lies on the serpent bed being the only one worthiest to behold and one who is meditated upon by the great yogis. He seems to sleep but no, he is ever awake.
· Behold in this very Srirangam a Yathivara, Gopaala Desika by name who forever meditates only on the Lord and one who is never tired of leading his Sishyas who resort to him on the right path.
· Both shine in their pristine glory in this Srirangam.
3. Traiyanthaarya Darsitena Su Pathaa Kaalam Kshipan Yoginaam
Aachaaram Paripaalayan Sumanasaa Dhyaayan Guroon Nispruhah /
Vedaanthoktha Pumartha Nirbharathayaa Nischinthayaa Desike
Nyastha Svaathma Bharo Vibhaathi Mudhitho Gopaala Desikah //
· He spends his time meditating on the auspicious path laid down in the Darsana of Swami Vedanta Desika (Traiyanthaarya),
· He maintains wholeheartedly the Aachaaram laid down by the yogis of yore.
· He has rid himself of the burden having placed them at the fee of his Aachaaryas as laid down in Vedaantas.
· Relieving the burden of his Sishyas similarly, he shines as a beaconlight here in Srirangam.
4. Akshubdah Kali Kalmashair Athi Tharaam Aachaara Viplaavakaih
Na Aakrishto Mathi Mohakai Kalushitaih Slaagha Aaravaarair Manaak /
Abhrashtas Samayaath Kadhaapi Guruvaryaad Ishtatho Dhishtatho
Hyaklishto Nivasan Vibhaathi Yathiraat Gopaala Sat Desikah //
· He is far far beyond all the blemishes characteristic of Kaliyuga.
· His adherence to Aachaaram is well known throughout the Aasthika World.
· He is never drawn by any infatuation of mind.
· His mind is never affected by praise or blame.
· He stands firm against heretical beliefs which can never affect him.
· Always meditating on his Guruvaryas, he is free from all afflictions.
· He is Gopaala Sat Desika, an Emperor among Yathis ( Yathivaraat)
5. Preethi Saadhu Samaagame Dhridatharah Raktir Yatheesokthishu
Sraddhaa Svaasrama Dharma Vardhana Kritou Nishtaa Sva Vaak Samyame /
Bhaktir Bhaagavateshu Desika Giraam Aamredane Sakthathaa
Nityaa Modha Mudhanchayati Yathitharaam Gopaala Sath Desikah //
· He delights in the company of Sadhus
· He stands firmly rooted in the disciplines laid down for Sannyasis
· He is deeply interested in following and maintaining the Dharma appropriate to his Aasrama
· His words are in unison with his conduct
· He takes pleasure in serving Bhaagavatas with devotion
· He is ever delightful and makes others delighted too.
· Such is the Swami, Gopaala Sath Desika, a Yathi par excellence.
[This was written years ago]
Swami’s divine presence was felt in every inch and in even fraction of a second. Swami’s continues to bless us from His divine abode.