Jaya Varusha Sri Hayagreeva Jayanthi was celebrated all over the world on the 6th of September. But did you know that in Karnataka there is an offering by the name Hayagreeva Maddi? May be you can make this offering when we will be doing Hayagreeva aradhanam in our houses during Navarathri.
- Kadalai paruppu(Channa dal)- 1cup
- Jaggery-broken or powdered- 1cup
- Ghee- 1/4 cup
- Coconut grated-1\4 cup
- Cardamon- 2-3 powdered
- Saffron- a few threads
- Almonds- a few
- Cashew nuts- a few
- Raisins-a few
- Soak kadalai-paruppu for about 1/2 hour. Pressure cook for three whistles.
- Drain the water completely (the water can be used to make sathamadhu).
- The cooked paruppu can be mashed if desired or used as it is.
- Take a thick bottomed pan and put in the ghee.
- Fry the almonds, cashew nuts and raisins to a golden colour and keep them aside.
- Put in the cooked paruppu and the jaggery and keep stirring on medium flame.
- Add the grated coconut. Keep mixing till the jaggery and kadalai paruppu mix well.
- Add powdered cardamon, saffron threads and fried almonds, cashews and raisins and mix well.
- Transfer to a clean vessel or plate and offer to Sri Hayagreeva.
Recipe by Smt Vyjayanthi Rajan
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.