SrImathE Nigamantha Mahadesikaya namah:
SrImAn venkatanAthAryaH kavitArkika kesarI |
vedAntAcArya-varyo me sannidhattAm sadA hRdi ||
This is a summary of the Srimad Vedanta Desika Dinacharya Stotram recorded by his son Sri Nayinaracharyar or Kumara varadhachariar.
1. I bow to Shri Venkatanatha who was born in Kancheepuram, stayed in Srirangam, and avataar of Thirumalai GantamaNi.
2. My salutations to Swami Desika who considered flattery as poison and wealth and comfort and the royal palaces as Narakam (Hell).
3. Swami leaves His sleep during the third yamam of the night. That is., wakes up at about 3.00 AM. Mella ezhundu Hari endra peraravam. And being in the bed, He remembers the Guru Parampara. Then He recites the ramanuja’s Saranagathi Gadhyam and stotras on Sriman Narayana that praises the kalyana gunas of Narayana.
4. Then He walks to the river Kaveri. Offers the morning ablutions. After wearing clean clothes and 12 Thiruman SriChoornam. Swami does His Sandhyavandhanam, in the open and with a concentrated mind. He does the Gayatri-Japam facing the direction of Sun.
5. Then he completes other Nitya -Karmaas and proceeds to the Sri Ranganathar temple. There He offers His prayers to the Lord’s lotus feet.
6. After obtaining the theertha prasadam, Swami arrives at the Kalakshepa Mandapam where His sishyas eagerly await Him. There in simple sanskrit and Tamil, He explains the purport of Vedanta. He used to treat His sishyas like His own children – affectionate and loving.
7. Then His shishyas do Bhikshadanam for Him. Swami uses the material thus offered by His sishyas for the Bhaghavat Aradhanam.
8. After spending some time with His sishyas teaching and instructing them Swami proceeds to do the Aradhanam for Lord Varada.
9. Swami does Aradhanam with vessels (mostly wooden vessels) that are inexpensive. It seems thieves will not find it worth their effort to steal them.
10. In the fourth Yama of the day, Swami is busy writing works that helps in defending the Ramanuja Siddhantha against the onslaughts of Maaya Vaadins and Shoonya Vaadins.
11. After doing His evening Sandhya Vandhanam, Swami spends more time with His sishyas praying to His Kula-Deivam Lord Varada.
12. He recites the Divya-Prabhandham and other slokas on Lord Varada.
13. Once again He spends time with His sishyas clarifying their doubts on Rahasyartham.
14. After seating Goddess Perundevi and Lord Varada in the lotus of His heart, Swami with concentrated mind, proceeds to His bed. He keeps remembering the glories of the Lord and proceeds to enjoy the Yoga-Nidra in his sleep.
15. Once again Swami wakes up at 3.00 a.m and starts a fresh and blissful day in Bhagavath and Bhaghavata kaimkaryam.
I bow again and again to that Maha Purusha, After reading this, my only kurai is I have not been one of those sishyas! [translated by Sri Vijayaraghavan, New York]
Swamy Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
kavi-tArkika-simhAya kalyANa-guNa-SAline |
Srimate venkateSAya vedAntagurave namaH ||
Salutations to Sri Venkatesa, in whom all perfections reside, who is the teacher of Vedanta and the lion among poets and debaters
Writeup by : Sri Madhavakannan