- Homemade Rice Flour -1 cup
- Urad Dal Flour – 1/4 cup
- Black or white sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Butter – 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Hing – a pinch
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp
- Murukku maker
- Oil for deep frying
- First mix together rice flour, urad dal flour, sesame seeds and butter well with your finger tips.
- Add coconut milk little at a time and make a soft and smooth dough. The quantity of coconut milk may vary according to the quality of rice flour. I added approximately 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp of coconut milk. So add coconut milk little at a time.
- Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, reduce the heat to medium. To check if the oil is hot, drop a piece of dough into the oil, if it raises to the surface immediately, the oil is hot enough to fry the murukkus.
- Take a small portion of dough and put it inside the murukku maker
- Press it in a circular motion to make murukku
- You will hear a sizzling/bubbling sound when the murukku is getting cooked.
- Once it is cooked the sizzling sound stops and you see the oil clear
- Fry the murukku both sides until very light golden color. Thengai murukku should be pale white in color and not brown.
- Once cooked remove from the oil with a slotted ladle and place it in a colander or paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.