The three day Varshika Pavithrotsavams in the famed temple of Sri Kodanda Rama swamy in Tirupati commenced with Ankurarpanam on July 13. While the other important days include Pavithra Prathista on July 14, Pavithra samarpana on July 15, Purnathi on July 16.
Pavithras, the garlands made from special thread are taken in a procession and used to decorate Lord Kodanda Rama Swamy and his consorts in Temple, on Sunday (15/07/2012) morning. Earlier the Temple Priests performed Snapana Tirumanajanam (Celestial Bath) to the processional deities inside Temple Premises.
Temple officials and large number of devotees took part..
About Temple :
Sri Kothanda ramaswamy Temple is located in the North of Sri Govindaraja Swamy temple. It was said that the archa moorthi s of more than 6 feet tall elegant Sri Kodanda ramar with mesmorising smile, equally beautiful Sri Sita Devi and Sri Lakshmanar was installed by the Jambhavan in Treta yugam. Later the emperor Janamejayam renovated the temple, who found the archa moorthi s near the sacred tank which now known as Ramachandra Gunta. The evidence of this was found in ‘sawal jawab patika’ . Later in 1402 AD Saluva Narasimharaya of Vijayanagara Dynasty consecrated the temple which is now under TTD administration.
Opposite to the temple about 200 yards the tank popularly known as Ramachandra Gunta is located . This tank is used for conducting of float festival of Sri Kothandaramaswamy. This tank has religious significant: There is a mantapam on the eastern bank of this tank. Godadevi (Andal) of Sri Govindarajaswamy Temple visits to this mantapam on procession from Sri Govindarajaswamy Temple. during the last 7 days of Dhanurmasam Utsavam. Sri Kothandaramaswamy along with his consort Seethamma and his brother Sri Lakshamana swamy visit this mantapam during Garudotsavam day of Panguni Brahmotsavam.
This temple is located at the center of Tirupati (less than 2km distance from railway station or bus stand).