Today, March 14, 2014; Vijaya Varusha Masi Ayilyam, is Sharadu Pandigai, an important utsavam for ladies. Today, between 8.15 pm and 9.15 pm, nonbu sharadu will be tied by Sumangalis and unmarried girls with the prayer that they should not be separated from their husbands. An offering of sweet adai and karaadai along with butter is offered to Perumal and eaten on banana leaves after the sacred yellow thread has been tied. In some SriVaishnava households the adai preparation is not made and some sweet is prepared and offered along with vethilai-paku and fruits. After the tying of the thread prostrations are done to the husband and elders. The question arises as to whether a prappana has the right to ask anything from Perumal? According to Stri Dharma rules the housewife has to seek Perumal-Pirrati’s grace mentioning each family member.
When such is the case who else can she turn to for seeking grace except the Divine Duo? The time when Masi ends and Panguni starts is considered an auspicious hour for tying the saradu. Tirumangalya saradu can be tied in Masi itself. This thread unique to Tamil Nadu is a valuable ornament and should be treasured more than the gold chains and necklaces. It should be kept yellow by applying turmeric daily during baths. A bath is not considered valid without the application of turmeric. Sad to say this practise is going out of use. Recent research has shown the effects of turmeric consumption and application and it is beneficial to start using turmeric.
While tying the saradu the following slokam from Sri Padhuka Sahasram Sannivesha Paddhathi the 25th Paddhathi (slokam-6) can be chanted:
Vahanthi Rangeshwara Paadharakshe!
Dheerghayusham darshitha bhakthi bandha:
Asshadhipaanam avarodhya narya:
Tvan mudrika Mangala Hema sutrai:
The following are the recipes for Vella/Sweet Adai and Karaadai:
- Cow Peas (Black Peas)\ Karamani 100gms
- Rice Flour (soaked in water, dried in shadow and made powder) sieve the floor and keep it dry. 500gms
- Jaggery (powder)
- Cardamom powdered
- Mustard seeds
- Green chilly
- Ginger piece 1
- Chopped Coconut –
- Butter – 100 Gm
- Red chilly – 2
- Cooking oil
- Idli mould
For Vella/Sweet Adai:
- Dry roast the Karamani in a pan and keep it aside. And make the Beans in bits and pieces (should not grind).
- Have half pan filled with water and boil it well, cook the Karamani in that hot water for 10 to 15 minutes. Ensure you are not over cooking.
- Melt the Jaggery in water and remove the impurities.
- Add grated coconut or chopped coconut piece and cardamom powder.
- Add the rice flour (dry) slowly and mix it well without lumps.
- Mix well and tight, it should not be watery, then the adai will not come up well.
- Once it is prepared, grease you hands with Ghee and take a small (lemon size) ball and make it like a pinwheel (flat)
- Prepare this 7 to 8 and keep it in the idly mould in order to boil or cook this adai.
- Based on the size of the plate keep it in such a way it does not touch each other and cook it for maximum 10 minutes.
Warning: If it is over cooked, it will become bits and pieces
- Have half pan filled with wter and boil it well, cook the Karamani in that hot water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a separate Pan, Add cooking oil, mustard, curry leaves, ginger grated, chopped coconut, red chilly or green chilly based on your taste.
- Then add some salt and put everything in the boiling water, add the rice flour slowly and mix with out lumps. Preparation of uppadai is same as vella adai.
- Once it is cooked in the idly mould keep the fresh butter on top of it.
Once both are prepared, please offer it for Amsai to Seetha Raman.
Write-up by Vyjayanthi Sundararajan
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.