This is very simple and easy to make.
- Tamarind – 1 small lemon size
- Okra/Vendakai – 4 no
- Gingili oil – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Chenna dal – 1tbsp
- Methi seed – ¼ tsp
- Hing – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 stem
- Whole red chillies – 2no (broken into pieces)
- Soak the tamarind in hot water. Make thick tarmarind extract. Cut okra big pieces.
- Heat the oil in kadai, fry mustard seed, red chillies, dhal, and okra and curry leaves.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and Hing. Fry for few minutes.
- Add tamarind extract, salt and boil for 10 minutes.
- If the vatral kuzhambu consistency is too thin, a spoon of rice flour added with a little water should thicken it up.
Garnish with curry leaves.