Narthangai, also known as Citron or Bitter Orange, it is a variety of lemon with a thick skin and green colour. It has lots of medicinal value, aids digestion and removes the bitterness in the tongue. It is used for making dry pickle, spicy pickle, Pachadi, Kuzhambu etc. Like lemon rice, we can make Narthangai Rice using its juice.
- 3 to 4 Narthangai
- 4tsp Rock Salt
- 3-4 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 2 Tbs Gingelly Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp Fenugreek powder
- Chop the Narthangai in to small pieces,add rock salt mix with dry spoon and keep it covered for 3-4 days.This is to make the skin of the narthangai soft.Every day two times just mix the narthangai.Keep it in a glass or ceramic bowl
- After 4 days the skin colour would have changed and become soft.you add chilli powder,turmeric powder and dry roasted fenugreek powder.( i always roast fenugreek seeds powder and keep to add in pickles pulikachal etc.
- Heat oil in a small pan crackle mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds crackle add asafoetida and pour it over the narthangai.
- Mix well and give few hours to settle.
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.