Every doctor will tell you to stop eating pickles because of their high salt content but there are pickles which are not too long lasting which are tasty and address the craving for pickles.
- Raw mango-1 big
- Crystal salt-2 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder-1 teaspoon
- Chilli powder-2-3 teaspoons
- Dry roasted fenugreek powder-1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida- a pinch
- Oil-sesame oil preferably- 3 tablespoons or less
- Mustard -1teaspoon
- Cut the raw mango along with skin into small cubes.
- Take oil in a fry-pan and put in the mustard and let it splutter.
- Put in the asafoetida and fry it. Remove and powder it.
- Put in the cut mango pieces, add salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder and mix well. Put off the gas , add roasted fenugreek powder . Cool and store in ceramic or glass containers. Refrigerate and use within a week.
Courtesy : Vyjayanthi Rajan
General guidelines for healthier food for both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.