Every doctor will tell you to stop eating pickles because of their high salt content but there are pickles which are not too long lasting which are tasty and address the craving for pickles
- Raw mango-large -2(killi mooku variety is preferable)
- Crystal salt- 4 tablespoons or less
- Turmeric powder-1 teaspoon
- Chilli powder-4 -5 teaspoons
- Jaggery-a small chunk
- Dry roasted fenugreek powder-2teaspoons
- Asafoetida- a generous pinch
- Sesame oil-4-5 tablespoons
- Mustard-1 teaspoon.
Grate the mangoes after peeling the skin or along with the skin.
Take oil in the pan and allow the mustard to splutter. Put in grated mangoes, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, jaggery and asafoetida and fry on low flame stirring now and then till oil separates. Put off the gas and add fenugreek powder. When cool transfer to a glass or ceramic container and store in a cool place. Always store in dry containers and use a dry spoon.Lasts for a month when refrigerated
Courtesy : Vyjayanthi Rajan
General guidelines for healthier food for both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.