Here is the recipe for Thengai Pal (coconut-milk) that is usually made for Aadi Pandigai also known as Dakshinayana Punyakalam.
- Coconut- 1 fairly big
- Jaggery- 1small cup powdered
- Elakkai (cardamon) 5-6 powdered
- Dried grapes-3-4
- Grate the coconut and put it in a blender with water (enough to soak the grated coconut fully).
- Run the blender till the coconut is crushed well. Place a sieve on a vessel and pour the coconut paste on it. Press well.
- The first coconut milk is obtained. Repeat the process thrice. Stir the milk well, add jaggery and set to boil on the stove.
- Once the jaggery blends well, add powdered elakkai. Take a spoon of ghee and fry the cashews and dried grapes. Offer it to Perumal with a Tulasi leaf saying Krishnarpanam.
Recipe by Smt Vyjayanthi Rajan
General guidelines for healthier food – Both body and mind:
- One should be thinking about Perumal (Nama Smaranam) while cooking, and the purpose should be to offer the preparation to Him.
- Once the food is prepared, it should be offered to Perumal first. While offering, one should make sure that the food is neither too hot nor cold. It should be offered with love and affection.
- Please do not offer either pre-cooked food bought from outside or any pre-consumed food.
- Please follow thiruvaradanam kramam as instructed by your respective acharya. (http://anudinam.org/2012/03/08/bhagavad-tiruvaradhanam/)
- Follow ahara niyamam as much as possible. Atleast make sure that onion and garlic are not used at all.(http://anudinam.org/2012/06/11/srivaishnava-ahara-niyamam/)
- Please ensure that food which are not prasadams are not consumed.