Paruppu urundai kuzhambu is a tasty kuzhambu floating with paruppu urundais or lentil balls.
Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:For the urundais:
Tuvaram paruppu(Tuvar dal)- 1 cup
Kadalai paruppu(channa dal)- 1 tablespoon
Uluthum paruppu(urad dal)- 1 teaspoon
Red chillies- 3-4
salt- as needed
Tamarind -lemon size
sambar powder-2 tablespoons
Salt according to taste
asafoetida- a pinch
uulutham paruppu(urad dal)- 1tsp
curry leaves-a sprig
corriander leaves-a sprig
oil- 2 tablespoons
- Soak the lentils along with red chillis for an hour.
- Drain water and grind to a rava like consistency after adding salt.
- Take a tablespoon of oil and splatter the mustard seeds. Put in a few curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Put in the lentils which have been grinded and mix well.
- Make balls the size of lemons.
Now to make the kuzhambu:
- Take oil in a kadai and splatter mustard seeds, add ulutham paruppu(urad dal) kadalai paruppu(channa dal) curry leaves and two red chillies.
- Soak tamarind and extract juice.
- Put in sambar powder add salt pour into the pot and let it boil.
- When the kuzhambu starts boiling add a few paruppu urundais,
- when the urundais rise up add a few more and in this manner
- let all the urundais cook in the kuzhambu for about 10 minutes on simmering heat.
- Pour into a clean pot and offer it to Perumal with rice and vegetable preparations, sathamadhu and curds.
Courtesy : Smt Vjyayanthi Sundararajan