Pallakai (Raw Jackfruit) Kariamudhu
Karamadhu is how dry vegetable preparations are known as in Srivaishnava parlance. Since everything is offered to Perumal it becomes amritham which is known as amudham in Tamil. Raw jackfruit is a fibrous vegetable and the proccess of making it is a little long-drawn but it is worth the trouble. Below are the ingredients and procedure:
- Raw jackfruit- 1 small
- turmeric powder-1tsp
- ulutham paruppu(urad dal)-1tsp
- coconut grated-half cup
- cummin (jeeragam)-1tsp
- red chillies or green chillies-2-3
- asafoetida-a pinch
- curry leaves(kareveppilai)-a handful
1) Remove the peel of the jackfruit and cut it into small pieces. remove seeds if any and put the cut pieces in water, Apply oil on the knife and on your hands so that the latex does not stick to your hands.
2) Remove from the water ,add turmeric and salt and about 1/4 or less cup of water and pressure cook .(one whistle is enough) or you can cook in water and drain excess water and add salt afterwards.
3) Once the pressure is released cool the jackfruit and shred into pieces in a blender in batches.
4) grind coconut, cummin and chillies.
5) Take oil in a pan and put in the mustard followed by urad dal and then the curry leaves and asafoetida. When mustard splatters and the urad dal turns red put in the shredded jackfruit, ground coconut and stir well on a low flame for about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to clean container and offer to Perumal along with rice and other accompaniments .
Writeup & Video : Vyjayanthi & Sundararajan